Thursday, August 25, 2011

Me? As a writer?

Think about your past experiences as a writer and rhetor. What are two of your strengths as a writer and rhetor? What are two of your writing weaknesses? Specifically, how would you like to improve as a writer? What could you do or learn to make such improvements? How do you anticipate that this particular course will help you improve as a writer and rhetor?

Before I begin to answer the prompt seen above, let me introduce myself. My name is Yee-Kuen Yam, but I prefer to be called Jacky. I speak up to three languages at home to my family, at the same time, so that might be why I dislike English classes (no offense!) and also why I am horrible at writing. This is the first time I'm using Blogger, and so far, it seems easy enough to get started.

After just reading part of Bird by Bird, it has really opened my mind as to how I should write. I've had very few strengths when it comes to writing, I always remember waiting until the day before a paper is due, to start. A strength that I have would be being able to write with a guideline. Knowing where to start, how to follow through, as well as how to end it, gives me an imaginary highway to cruise on. Another strength that I have at my disposal when writing, is being able to remember everything I need in my head, and start typing all of it down, without forgetting too many things. It might not be a true strength, but better than nothing!

My weaknesses; where to begin. Being multilingual, I would say that I have a hard time finding the right words to express what I need to. The papers that I hand in would almost always have corrections on them when the teachers hand it back to me. Whether the issue was using too many of the same words, or having a few grammatical errors, I would say that my writing always has some sort of error in it, no matter how many times I review it. Another issue with my writing would probably be that I am not concise enough. Seeing my friends' written work sometimes, they always seem to have superior skills, and I guess this is where the saying, "the grass is always greener on the other side" would be appropriate. They always have short, well developed sentences, while mine seem long and diluted in comparison. Although I have weaknesses, I know that I have to push through them, in order to become a better writer.

What inspires me to write, which is not often, would most likely be songs. One example would be the song Lighters by Rocye da 5'9" featuring Bruno Mars and Eminem. This song motives and pushes me to go further in everything I do, even writing. Another inspiration, which is pretty childish, would definitely be the movie, Ratatouille. The major theme of anyone can do anything, really inspires me to do anything I want, even write.

Improvements that I hope to see after taking English 15, would be for me to write in a more clear and concise manner, as well as expand the use of my vocabulary. I know that improving my writing skills will be no easy task, but after reading some of Bird by Bird and Norton Field Guide to Writing, I feel like the task seems reachable now. I anticipate that this course will actually make me a better writer, and perhaps even making me want to write.

Hope I didn't bore you too much!

1 comment:

  1. Jacky:

    Thanks for letting me get to know you a bit! Three languages, huh? Wow! Which ones? That's quite impressive. Managing so many can be a difficult task, but it doesn't have to impede your ability to write -- in fact, it can enrich it! Particularly creative writing. Have you ever thought about writing fiction with bilingual characters? You would certainly know how to infuse accents and vocabulary into their voices, which helps develop character. Could be a fun challenge!

    I too have been know to suffer from procrastination. Unfortunately, writing isn't a one shot deal. It isn't about sitting down and busting out the perfect paper in one sitting. It's a process. It starts in our heads, moves onto research and considerations of structure and audience, then the writing starts, and after that, it's time to sculpt and edit our writing into a final piece. In fact -- writing is only one part of the WRITING PROCESS -- and it's somewhere in the middle -- not the beginning or end.

    I'm really glad to hear that reading has already opened your eyes to different ways of approaching writing as a process. I hope that you do feel you get what you want out of this course by the time we're through!

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete